Preston North End sports scientist set to conquer 1,200 miles for prostate cancer UK

Hudson6dogs - Wikimedia

Preston North End sports scientist Luke Hemmings will cycle for 875 miles during a seven day period and take part in 14 marathons in 14 days for Prostate Cancer UK.

Hemmings will cover the whole length of the British mainland just on his bicycle, before running 356 miles from Land’s End to Dover.

The PNE sports scientist believes that his work at the club is the perfect preparation for his journey.

He said: “Through working at the club, you know how to look after yourself so that’s something I’ve had to step up a lot – because I’m training a lot more, you have to look after your body a lot more as well so foam rolling and ice baths are becoming quite regular.

“To help prepare, I’ve been riding and running as much as I can. I’m stepping up my miles now so on the weekends, I’ll do a 60 to 70 mile on a Saturday and then a 50 on a Sunday and step it up from there on in. Because there’s that many miles, I don’t think you can just train for 14 marathons in 14 days so you’ve just got to get as much time on your feet and on the bike as you can.”

Hemming’s recently completed the Football to Amsterdam Challenge, a charity bike ride organised by Prostate Cancer UK, this then led to the forming of his association after admitting he felt inspired when he took part in the challenge.

He added: “I did the Football to Amsterdam last year and I just got a good feel about it all. I had a great experience and with their relationship with the EFL as well, I felt I owed them something because I enjoyed it that much.

“It was just like another holiday for me so I thought I owed them something so I did a bit of looking – I looked into Prostate Cancer, and the stats are horrendous. One in eight men will get diagnosed and one man every hour dies from it so it’s obviously quite close to home with me being a male so I want to try and do something to help those people and the families that are affected.

“This will hopefully raise awareness for younger people as well because it targets all men. So trying to raise awareness for all men of my age and hopefully everyone involved who will see what I’m doing to hopefully catch it early.”

Hemming’s needs your help to support him through such a tough challenge. Donate at JustGiving or text LRHH99 £3 to 70070 to donate £3.

Follow PNE’s Hemming’s on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook so you can keep up with his progress and show him support.