Success for UCLan Tigers cheerleading team at national competition

The successful UCLan Tigers squad after their second place. Credit Alice Kinsella

The UCLan Tigers Cheerleading Squad had a successful weekend finishing second in the Future Cheer University Championships in Birmingham’s Genting Arena.

Tiger Alice Kinsella holds the trophy after their 3 successful routines. Credit Alice Kinsella

The Tigers were competing in the level 1 COED class, which means they are a mixed gender squad, in what is widely perceived as a female-only sport and follows on from previous successes in 2017.

Their success is thanks to weeks of intense training meaning that the squad has developed a real siege mentality, and with the nature of the sport it means nothing is off limits.

Uclan Tiger Alice Kinsella said: “You get really close when you’re training. Any differences that you have when you’re not performing have to be put aside.

“If someone falls then you’ve got to grab anything that you can, whether its a bum cheek, leg or whatever, you’ve got to break their fall or they could be seriously injured.”

Their success has been highlighted thanks to the antics of the Korean fans at the Winter Olympics in Pyeongchang, whose choreographed routines whilst in the stands supporting their athletes have wowed viewers from around the world.

Alice added: “I’ve seen the Korean fans in the Olympics and I love it. I know the Manchester City fans have had the Poznan in years gone by but I hope it will come into more sports in this country. It would be good to see more sports cheered on.

“The main sport that has cheerleading is American Football, we work closely with the UClan Rams, but I can’t really see old men at football grounds doing routines, but I am hopeful.”