15-year-old breaks Ronnie O’Sullivan’s 147 break record as world champion seals Grand Prix success

Sean Maddocks pictured and Ronnie O'Sullivan at Ladbrokes Grand Prix

On the eve of Ronnie O’Sullivan winning his 32nd ranking tournament at the Ladbrokes World Grand Prix at Guild Hall on Sunday, young Liverpool broke a record which was held by the five time world champion 27 years ago.

Sean Maddocks aged 15 years and 90 days from Kirkby got a spot in the Guinness World Book of Records for ‘Youngest Snooker Player to Score a 147 Break’ beating Sullivan by just eight days when he set the record back in 1991.

Maddock’s coach, Neil Johnson, spoke to Liverpool Echo about his player’s triumph. He said: “You could see from the start that he had promise, the way that he’d hit balls, but you can never tell how it’s going to develop.

“It’s hard to overestimate how much he’s achieved, the awards that he’s won – but also that he’s overcome an injury.

“He broke his right arm and that’s his cueing hand, and you never really know if they’ll be able to perform as well coming back from that injury but he did.”

A maximum break is when a player has potted all 15 red and black balls (120 points), followed by all six coloured balls (27 points) to make the number of 147 points.

Following Maddock’s world record, O’Sullivan achieved more glory after his 10-3 win over Ding Junhui. The fan favourite was 6-3 up after the first session and went on to win the £100,000 prize after taking the next four frames.

After his victory over the four-time ranking tournament winner, O’Sullivan, 42, who has now won four ranking titles in a season for the first time, spoke to ITV.

He said: “I re-dedicated myself to the sport before last year’s Worlds and put the work in and I have had a few results.

“I haven’t played since the Masters (January) so I came here cold and I got lucky this week.”