Callum Smith set for George Groves showdown in Ali Trophy super-middleweight final after points win

Callum Smith booked his place in the Ali Trophy super-middleweight final after defeating Nieky Holzken on points in Nuremberg on Saturday.

The judges scored it 118-110, 117-111, 117-111 all in favour of the English WBC Diamond Champion.

The Liverpudlian will face George Groves in the final, who looked on in anticipation as the fight reached a climatic 12 rounds.

After overcoming Chris Eubank Jr last weekend, Groves cemented his place in the final, despite suffering a suspected discolated shoulder in the final rounds of the contest, which the WBA Super title holder is not too concerned about.

He said: “I’m a fast healer, I have a great medical team and I’m willing to put my body on the line and do the rehab.

“I cannot wait to get back in the gym and prepare. It will be an explosive final, I don’t expect it to go the distance, I’m confident of the win.”

After his win against Holzken, Smith said: “I look forward to it, he was the one I wanted to beat. The fight I wanted was Groves, I hope his shoulder is OK. Fingers crossed he can recover, he’s the man to beat in the tournament.”