Lancashire and England Lions ‘keeper Alex Davies signs new contract

Credit: LordSarnoc

Lancashire wicketkeeper Alex Davies has signed a new contract, keeping him at the club until the end of the 2020 season.

Davies, 23, has extended his stay at Emirates Old Trafford after a highly impressive 2017 season that saw him become the club’s first keeper to score 1,000 runs in a first-class season.

He has just returned from the West Indies, where he was on England Lions duty. He scored 48 in the third unofficial ODI as England won by seven wickets, but lost the series 2-1.

Davies made his debut in 2011 at the age of 16, becoming Lancashire’s youngest ever one-day player in the process.

Speaking to the club, Davies said: “I’m delighted to extend my contract at Lancashire. It’s the Club I grew up watching and dreaming of playing for so I cherish every chance I get to wear the red rose.

“I was pleased with my form particularly in first class cricket last year with the three hundreds in the Specsavers County Championship. There is definitely still room for improvement and I’m determined to back last year up with an even bigger one this year.

“We have an extremely exciting squad at the minute, with a great mix of youth and experience. We have made some brilliant signings over the winter to complement some of our own home-grown players and I see no reason why we can’t win some silverware in the near future.”

Davies has become a key player for the red rose, playing key roles in their County Championship promotion and victory in the Natwest T20 Blast.

His England Lions selection points to future involvement with the first team, where he faces stiff competition from Jonny Bairstow and Lancashire teammate Jos Buttler.

Coach Glenn Chapple was full of praise for his keeper.

He said: “Alex had a really impressive campaign last year following a serious knee injury in 2016 and for him to hit over 1,000 First Class runs was an excellent return for him.

“He’s got a very bright future in the game and it’s fantastic to see him being recognised by England Lions this winter. We are delighted that he’s chosen to extend his future with the Club.”

The club has also extended the contracts of Stephen Parry and Dane Vilas until the 2019 season.