England winger Josh Charnley signs for Warrington Wolves

Credit- Eirian Evans
Josh Charnley's new home, the Halliwell Jones stadium

Josh Charnley has made the cross code switch from Rugby Union to Rugby League after signing for League side Warrington Wolves, from Sale Sharks.

The ex-Wigan Warriors player made 32 appearances for Sharks scoring four tries, but could never hold down a regular place in the first 15.

After scoring the winning try in the Grand Final, Charnley left the Warriors in October 2016.

Charnley followed in the footsteps of Sam Burgess in crossing rugby codes, and both found a similar outcome as they failed to make their mark on the game.

However, in the past there have been many players that have made a successful move from League to Union and managed to win a lot of silverware.

Jason Robinson and Chris Ashton are just two of the bigger names that have made the move, and have enjoyed a lot of success playing for the England Rugby Union team.

Warrington will be looking to make the top four in the Super League come the end of the season, and new team-mate Pat Moran believes it’s a great signing for the Wolves.

“Charnley is a massive signing and will add strength to our side with his experience in the game,” he said.

Moran also looked at the possibility of making the move to Rugby Union. He said: “I want to contribute to Super League and make my debut before I think about Union, but if the opportunity arises later on in my career I’d definitely look in to it.”

Charnley could make his Wolves debut when they face Wakefield on Friday night at the Halliwell Jones.