Burnley Academy’s Matthew Rain targets first team spot

Matthew Rain poses for the journalists (Picture Credit: Ashwin Shankar)

Burnley Academy’s Matthew Rain says that he has already set his sights on starting for Sean Dyche’s team.

Rain, a 16-year-old left back, is optimistic about his chances of breaking into the first team of the Premier League side.

Speaking to the Gazette, he said: “Burnley is a good place for me and I see a pathway into the first team.

“You can see that through Dwight McNeil making his debut.”

The Clarets youngster, who arrived from the Liverpool youth setup less than a year ago, appreciates the closeness shared within people at the club and with its supporters.

The teenager said: “I think that Burnley’s more of a family club. I see the togetherness of the people at the club and I like it here. It makes me feel comfortable.”

Away from the pitch, Rain is your typical spirited teenager who enjoys a night in front of the TV playing video games with his friends, with little surprise to his choice of games.

Rain added: “I like to play a bit of FIFA and Fortnite on my Playstation with a couple of other friends and enjoy some competitiveness with them.”

The Burnley youth defender admits that he didn’t get into hit game Fortnite until one of his friends introduced it to him.

“One of my mates tried to get me to play it and I was a bit reluctant to give it a chance then. It was good after a while and we ended up having some fun” he said.

Many young prospects will look to senior players as they develop through the ranks and Rain is no different, although the full back’s choice is one more of admiration than tutelage.

“I like Steven Defour. I played against him in training the other day; he was quality. One, two touch; he didn’t give the ball away much – not at all really!

“He’s quick; he’s very clever as well, in his movement and the things he does.

“I want to be an attacking full back that does his job defensively,” Rain said.

The highlight of the youth number three’s career so far was his involvement in a thrilling 5-3 win over  Manchester United’s youth team this season – a game they turned around after being 3-0 down.