Super League round up- Rugby League

The stage for the Super League Grand Final, taking place next Saturday. Pic Credit: Mtaylor848, Wikimedia Commons

It was a tense weekend for clubs around the North West, as for many, their seasons’ draw to a close.

Salford secured their Super League status after an impressive 44-10 win against Championship club Toulouse.

The Red Devils would have been worried however, when just after half time Toulouse managed to make the score to 14-10, following a mistake by Robert Lui straight from kick off.

A strong recovery from the Salford outfit, led by Man of the Match Jackson Hastings, meant that any worries were soon squashed and they did enough to ensure the win.

The victory, plus their impressive points difference, meant that Salford topped the Middle 8’s and ensured that they will be playing in the Super League come 2019.

More positive news from the Salford camp came when they announced the signing of superstar Jackson Hastings, who turned down strong offers from other Super League clubs to stay with the Red Devils until 2020.

St. Helens continued their fine form after winning the League Leaders shield last week, as they beat Castleford 26-0.

‘Man of Steel’ short lister Ben Barba, producing another brace of tries, meant that St Helens go 10 points clear at the top of the Super League, and can look forward to their Semi-final clash against Warrington.

Warrington Wolves’ 36-23 win against Wakefield Wildcats wasn’t enough to move them up from fourth spot, meaning that their Semi Final was played against league leaders St. Helens.

The semi-final took place last night, where the under dogs Warrington Wolves ran out 18-13 thanks to a 77th minute try by Tom lineham.

Warrington are now in the Super League Grand Final, which takes places on Saturday, October 13th. Their opponents will be decided tonight, after the second semi-final has taken place.

Wigan Warriors clinched 2nd spot after their hard-fought victory over Hull FC. The injury hit Warriors hung on to a 14-12 win over their visitors, and will now face Castleford Tigers in the second Semi Final.

Leigh Centurions were a big talking point during this week as they could only field 13 men, meaning they had no subs at all to bring on.

The Centurions have struggled to keep hold of players after failing to reach the middle 8’s, and with a large injury list, their squad was extremely depleted.

There was no surprise that they were badly beaten by Dewsbury Rams, 52-6.

The club have since been granted permission by the RFL to loan youth players from Super League clubs in order to be able to play their final game vs Fetherstone Rovers which takes place on Sunday.