Wigan Warriors send-off Shaun Wane and Sam Tompkins with Grand Final victory over Warrington Wolves

The pre-match build up at Old Trafford - Pic: Matt Clayton

Wigan Warriors produced a battling performance to bid a fond farewell to coach Shaun Wane and full-back Sam Tomkins with a 12-4 win at Old Trafford.

Wane, who is joining Scotland Rugby Union, ends his 30-year association with the club and after being appointed as Head Coach in 2011, he leaves with three grand-final victory under his belt.

The Lancastrian was jubilant in his press conference post match: “I’m delighted, I don’t think we were ever going to lose it.

“I’m not being disrespectful to Warrington, but the only way to leave here was with a cup and a ring and we’ve done that.

“I’ll miss being with the players everyday, it’s going to be a tough one without.

“Never ever in a million years did I think I’d play for Wigan, I didn’t think I was good enough. I’ll miss everything about it.”

The defeat for the Wolves means they extend their unwanted record of being on the losing side in all their four grand final appearances, as well as their Challenge Cup defeat by Catalan Dragons in August.

Tomkins, who is joining Catalans next term, was lucky to stay on the pitch on multiple occasions early in the match, a slide tackle on Bryson Goodwin that would not look out of place in a Manchester United shirt.

He also shoved Kevin Brown in an off-ball incident and slid into a tackle with Daryl Clark knee first, but referee Robert Hicks handed out no punishment.

Tomkins has since received a retrospective ban from the RFL, as has teammate Thomas Leuluai.

Warrington hit the first blow in the game, winger, and ex-Warrior, Josh Charnley broke through Wigan’s stubborn defence to put Wire in the lead.

The Warriors celebrate Dom Manfredi’s second try – Pic Matt Clayton

The subsequent conversion from Tyrone Roberts was missed, which set the tone for the match as in windy conditions at Old Trafford, no points were added from the boot from either side.

Wigan hit back through Dominic Manfredi, his first of two tries, to draw things level, but the Warriors went into the break ahead.

George Williams received the ball on the fifth tackle 25m out from the Wire try-line, and punted a perfectly weighted kick into the path of winger Tom Davies, who slid over to make it 8-4 at the break.

Wire came close in the second half, full-back Stefan Ratchford, who was given the man of the match award, broke through the Warriors defence on numerous occasions but had no support, thus being smothered by his opposite number Tomkins.

Both sides tired after the hour mark, understandable in a game with such a high intensity and such big tackles.

But the Warriors summoned enough strength to cross the whitewash, Mandredi crossed with five minutes to go and securing Wigan’s victory.

In his post match press conference, Wolves Head Coach Steve Price told the media: “It could have gone either way up to the 77th minute.

“It was a hard, ferocious game for a long time. We’ve come a long way since we came together in November.

“I’m proud of the boys, to achieve two finals despite being on the wrong side is a huge achievement.

“I’m proud of the commitment, effort and attitude the boys displayed.

“Sometimes you don’t get the calls. Defensively I thought Wigan were outstanding. They were hard to break down and they kept turning us away on the try line.”