Wigan Warriors Women seal Grand Final win

© Ailsa Cowen

Wigan Warriors Women spoiled Leeds Rhinos Women’s chance of the treble after their first year in the Super League.

The Rhinos were first to make the score sheet with Rhiannion Marshall sliding away from her defender to post the ball down over the try line.

Courtney Hill successfully sent the ball between the sticks, making the score 6 – 0.

Wigan did not delay with a response, Rachel Thompson securing their first try but the conversion went wide, leaving the Cherry and Whites 2 points behind the Rhinos.

The tough first half proceeded with Wigan coming up strongest.

Wigan pressured a goal line drop out on Leeds, following the kick the Warriors passed out wide to Thompson. She pushed forward and placed the ball over the try line. Taking Wigan up 8 – 6 right on cue of the half-time hooter.

The Rhinos started the second half with a few errors making for a bad start.

A double knock on allowed Wigan to push up to 20m.

Becky Greenfield slid the ball out to Georgia Wilson who was waiting perfectly out on the right-hand corner, slamming the ball down for the 4 points but the conversion was missed. Leaving Wigan to take the lead 12 – 6.

Thompson sent the ball over for her third try of the day following a set of Leeds errors. Taking the score up to 16 – 6.

Leeds retaliated with fullback Caitlin Beevers sprinting the length of the pitch to score under the sticks, converted by Suze Hill taking the score up to 16 – 12.

The final minutes ticked by painfully with both teams desperate to score next.

Leeds’s last chance came from Hill who smashed over Wigan’s try line with four minutes of play left. Nerves must have got the better of Hill as she missed the conversion.

It was 16 – 16 but in the last moments, Wigan were awarded a penalty as Leeds were called offside.

Charlotte Foley took the penalty kick, with the Warriors holding their breath.

Foley calmly delivered the ball through the sticks.

Making the final score on the whistle 18 – 16 to Wigan.