Darts: The Asp hails winning mentality after UK Open win

Nathan Aspinall was ranked 34th in the world when he won the UK Open. Credit - Sky Sports

UK Open winner, Nathan Aspinall, has put his success down to his own belief that he is a winner, following his remarkable rise in the PDC.

The Stockport arrowsmith beat former world champion, Rob Cross, 11-5 in the final of the Minehead competition to record his first major PDC darts title.

Rob Cross told ITV Sport that he had ‘nothing left to give’ in the UK Open final.

‘The Asp’ clinched the title with the ‘big fish’, barrelling in a 170-finish.

World Number 16 Aspinall made the semi-finals of the World Championships in December, and claimed his first title on the Pro Tour in September.

The ‘FA Cup of Darts’ winner is now the fastest player to get to the world’s elite top 16 players after gaining a tour card, after the new kid on the block has earned over £200,000 in prize money in 2019.

In an interview with Live Darts TV, he said: “Once I won that Pro Tour I believed in my own ability. Before then, I knew I was a good player, but I always doubted myself. I won that Pro Tour, I had a good run in the worlds and my mentality changed in the game of darts. I believe I am now a winner.”

Aspinall, 27,  came through a thriller with Gerwyn Price in the semi-final, beating the Welshman 11-9 in legs.

Toni Alcinas, Christian Kist, Madars Razma, Steve Lennon and Ross Smith also fell in Aspinall’s wake.

The man who lost to Michael Smith in the semi-final of the World Championships, is the first player to win a major title outside of the world top 32 since Robert Thornton won the UK Open in 2012.

Aspinall insisted the time that he has put into his game is key factor in his success.

He added: “It’s an amazing feeling [to be in the top 16]. It was only six months ago that I was ranked 70 or 80th in the world and in three or four months, I’m up into the top 16 in the world. It proves that if you’re dedicated, you put the hours in anything is possible.”

The doyen of Stockport darts will compete in the Premier League of Darts on March 14 in Nottingham as a ‘contender’.

The next darting major is the World Matchplay at the Winter Gardens in Blackpool in July.