Dad delivers baby son in unexpected home birth

Photo Credit: Steve Canavan
Steve pictured with wife Liz, newborn Wilf (left) and two-year-old daughter Mary Photo Credit: Steve Canavan

A Lancashire dad has spoken of his delight after he delivered his own baby son when his wife suddenly went into labour.

Many couples have the option of either a hospital delivery or home birth.

However, for Steve and Liz Canavan. the latter was their only option after an unexpected change of events.

The husband and wife, from St Annes, had been on two trips to the hospital over the previous 48 hours when Liz believed she was going into labour – only for the couple to be told she wasn’t ready.

But Steve was woken in the early hours of Tuesday by Liz, 32, a former journalist, when she knew the baby was arriving, leaving the couple with no option other than to call the emergency services and let the excited father-to-be deliver the baby himself.

Photo Credit: Steve Canavan
Photo Credit: Steve Canavan

Steve, 43, a journalism lecturer at University of Central Lancashire (UCLan), said: “You just have to do it. I never thought I would be capable of doing anything like that but it’s amazing what you have to do when there’s no other option.

“There was blood everywhere and suddenly the baby’s head popped out.

“I didn’t know whether to faint or cry or just to run away but I thought, I’ve got to do this.”

After just two pushes Wilf Michael Canavan was born, however he had the umbilical cord wrapped around his neck, a life threatening emergency.

Steve, along with the help of the 999 operator Debbie, was able to unwrap the cord and to the couple’s relief, the 7lb tot immediately opened his eyes and started crying.

The couple, who have been married for three-and-a-half years. have another child, two-year-old Mary.

Steve and Liz didn’t in a million years think a home birth would be how they would see their first son enter the world.

Steve, who has been praised by family and friends for his efforts, said: “Now if you told me three days ago, I would deliver my own baby I would think you were mad.

“But I can now say I have delivered a baby which is not something many blokes could say.”

Photo Credit: Steve Canavan
Photo Credit: Steve Canavan

The new parents send their thanks to the North West Ambulance crew who came from Blackpool, and the midwife, but send special thanks to Debbie, who talked them through the birth every step of the way.