Preston North End legends team up to help Gary Parkinson Trust

Keith Harrison with his new book North End Souls

A Preston-based journalist tells stories from 15 Preston North End legends in his new book to raise money for the Gary Parkinson Trust.

PNE fan Keith Harrison has spoken to the likes of Graham Alexander and Ricardo Fuller in ‘North End Souls’, which will donate 10 per cent of profits to help Gary Parkinson’s rehabilitation.

Parkinson – who played for seven North-West sides during his 18 year career – suffered a severe brain stem stroke in 2010 and continues to fight locked-in syndrome.

Author Harrison said: “He requires a lot of care, support and therapy so we’re trying to raise a bit of money for Gary to do anything we can do to help him.

“His son Luke is involved in pushing it through the Gary Parkinson Trust so hopefully we can raise as much money as we can.

“Moyesy (David Moyes) describes him as a fantastic player and that he had a right foot like a sledgehammer.”

Harrison, former editor at Wolverhampton newspaper Express and Star, spoke to PNE players from different generations to tell the tales of their time at Deepdale.

Mark Lawrenson, now a football pundit, also offers a foreword.

Harrison said: “It was a labour of love for me, going round to all of my all-time heroes.

“It’s fantastic [that] people have taken me into their homes and given me two hours of their time to answer anything I asked.

“I’ve been very lucky as a journalist throughout the years. I’ve met the Queen, I’ve met the prime minister but nobody to me is more important than the people I’ve interviewed for this book.”

North End Souls is on sale now for £9.99 from www.northendsouls.com.