Burnley academy player Chris Conn-Clarke sets his sights on landing first professional football deal

Chris Conn-Clarke

Second year scholar, Chris Conn-Clarke is focused on pinning down a professional deal at Burnley FC with his current contract set to expire at the end of the season.

The 17-year old joined the Clarets’ academy ranks last summer when he put pen to paper on a two- year scholarship from Belfast side, Glentoran.

Scoring a handful of goals in his first season with Burnley, the tricky winger was rewarded the captaincy by Under 18’s manager Tony Philliskirk for the 2019/20 season.

Conn-Clarke said: “Obviously it’s an honour that the gaffer wants me to do that and I’m happy to fulfil it.

“I’ve took it in my stride and I feel very good with it.”

Chris Conn-Clarke (centre) at the youth press conference

With Conn-Clarke recently getting his first call up to Northern Ireland’s Under 18’s squad in September and featuring with Burnley’s Under 23’s summer camp in Poland, he is taking big steps to making every young footballers dream become a reality.

He said: “To impress the coaches, I really need to add more goals and assists to my game.

“My main aim this year is to progress and obviously at the end of it try and get a professional contract, I really want to stay here.”

Conn-Clarke will captain his side at the weekend against strugglers Bolton Wanderers, with Burnley looking to make it two wins from two.