Katarina Johnson-Thompson breaks British record at World Championships in Doha

There was delight for Liverpool’s Katarina Johnson-Thompson as she soared to heptathlon gold at the World Championships in Doha.

The 26-year-old set a new British record with 6,981 points, beating current holder Jessica Ennis-Hill’s tally of 6,955.

Johnson-Thompson beat 2017 champion and ‘7,000 club’ member Nafissatou Thiam by 304 points to take gold.

She told the BBC: “This is the result of so many attempts of trying to perform on this stage.

“The low moments have helped me come back and look at myself. This has been my dream.

“It has been such a long road. I am just happy that I’m coming into my best in these two big years.

“I just want more.”

7,000 Club

There may be a hint of disappointment for the Merseysider, as she narrowly missed out on joining that illustrious 7,000 club, where she would’ve joined second-placed Thiam.

Only four women have made it past the 7,000 mark so far, including the Belgian Thiam.

Although a superb achievement for Johnson-Thompson, she clearly has an insatiable appetite for success and will have her sights firmly set on Olympic gold in 2020 and breaking past the 7,000 points barrier.