England: Burnley defender James Tarkowski snubbed by manager Gareth Southgate

Burnley defender James Tarkowski revealed he’s disappointed but determined after once again being overlooked by England manager Gareth Southgate.

Tarkowski, 26, has been an ever-present figure for the Clarets at the beginning of the 2019-20 campaign, helping Sean Dyche’s side to seventh in the Premier League table.

But despite the defender’s fine form he has been left out of the European Championship qualifiers against Czech Republic and Bulgaria.

Southgate has instead opted for Premier League pair Fikayo Tomori (Chelsea) and Tyrone Mings (Aston Villa), despite keeping more clean sheets than both. He’s also kept more clean sheets than Michael Keane (Everton).

However, Tarkowski insists he is more determined than ever to reignite his England career and catch the attention of Southgate.

“I’m just going to crack on with my game and enjoy myself when I’m playing,” Tarkowski said.

“I feel like I’m playing really well, I’m at full fitness, playing every minute possible in games and I feel like I’m performing to the best I have done for Burnley.

“I’m happy with my performances and that’s all I can do.”

Tarkowski’s team-mate and Burnley goalkeeper Nick Pope has also been included in the squad as the Three Lions prepare for the clash against Czech Republic on Friday. They face Bulgaria on Monday.

Gareth Southgate’s men are top of Group A with four consecutive wins from their first four outings, with victories over Czech Republic (5-0), Montenegro (5-1), Bulgaria (4-0) and Kosovo (5-3).