Altrincham fans fall victim to Non League Day promotion

Credit: Michael Ripley Photography

Manchester United and City fans will benefit from reduced ticket prices as part of Non League Day, but lower-league supporters are still being made to pay full price.

Altrincham fans will have to pay £13 for their away trip on Saturday, while hosts Guiseley are offering Premier League and Football League season ticket holders £5 entry to the game.

Students with a valid NUS card also get this special Non League Day offer.

Author and groundhopper, Andy Dakin described the situation as “completely unfair”.

He said: “The move to attract new fans to all non-league clubs is a worthy one, but it should be aimed at everyone.

“This is completely unfair, both to Altrincham’s fans (who have travelled 70 miles to the game) and also Guiseley’s (long suffering) regulars.

“Initiatives should be aimed at attracting these people, rather those who are simply going to turn up once. It seems a very shortsighted offer to me.”

Non League Day, which was created by James Doe in 2010, celebrates its 10th anniversary tomorrow.

The event is scheduled to coincide with the international break in order to tempt Premier League and Football League fans to attend their local non-league club’s match.

The first Non League day saw attendances across the National League set-up increase by around 10 percent.

Speaking ahead their trip to Guiseley, Altrincham boss Phil Parkinson has explained his close connection with the day.

He said: “Non League Day is massive. It’s one of the things that has always stuck with me, I think I’ve said it on every interview since I’ve been at Alty.

“The first Non League Day I had, the actual experience of the day, what was going on at the football ground was absolutely out of this world.

“Alty do that better than most. It’s a shame we’re not at home, but yeah, it’s a day we look forward to.”

Clitheroe are also running the same offer for Non League Day.