‘Start-Up Day’ gets low turnout after wet weather

Preston's Harris Museum on a sunny day.
Harris Museum, Preston. Credit: wikimedia, Francis C Franklin.

An event offering free advice to businesses had low attendence due to wet weather today.

The Harris Museum hosted ‘Start-up Day’, an event which is held annually as part of a national campaign from the British Museum and Lancashire Libraries to offer free advice and networking for start-ups and businesses in Preston.

Johnathan Gilbert, founder of Social Marketing 4G who helped organise the event, said: “We’ve had a few, I think the weathers impacted a little bit.

“We didn’t have a say on when it was so a Friday probably wasn’t the best day either. But I’ve personally been able to advise a few businesses who had questions following the workshop.

“There’s always going to be a need for support and not everybody can necessarily pay for that, so this is good for a start-up.

“I run my own business and I know what it’s like to start up, you don’t have a lot of money.”

He added: “These sort of things are really good to get free advice.”

The event is a national event with the British Museum and locally with Lancashire Libraries.

Despite the low turnout, they still had pleanty of advie for businesses and start-ups.

“You can’t just do one thing, you still need a good website, you’ve got to think about email marketing etc,” he added.

“Which is usually what people don’t consider, they usually come to something like this thinking ‘oh yeah, I know what I’m doing’ and then they usually leave thinking actually I’m not doing everything I could do.

“And that’s really a key message I want them to take away.”

He said that anyone starting a business needs to first consider their audience and know who you’re looking to reach.

Then you should look at what messages your sending out and if that fits with your audience.

He said starting a new business can take longer than you think, up to 12-18 months to get going and you don’t want to start a business with too much debt.