Ribble Valley teenage stars picked for Manchester Thunder

Haworth and Jorgenson took part in training last night for Ribble.

Two up and coming teenage prospects have been selected for the Manchester United of the netball world.

Anja Haworth, 15, and Eleanor Jorgenson, 17, who both play for Ribble Valley, have been selected to take part in Manchester Thunder’s Netball Pathway.

Thunder are a professional side who run a pathway from their youth academy through to under 21’s.

Haworth has been at Thunder since she was just 14 will this year play for the under 17s side and she said she’s relishing the chance to shine for Thunder.

“I’m really excited to be in the squad again,” the teenager said. “I’ve been playing since I was 14 in the youth academy where it’s only training once a week. Now at under 17s the training has become harder and more regular.”

Jorgenson played for the under 17s side last year. She has now moved through to the under 19s and she highlighted how intense the training is this year.

The defender said: “Moving up to the 19’s has meant there’s more training, twice a week, and it really focuses on fitness and strength and conditioning.”

15-year-old Haworth first played for Ribble when she was just 13 and she still has aspirations to make it to the top.

She said: “One day I would like to play for England at under 17s or under 19s level when I’m older but right now I just want to keep up with my netball.”

The pair have been crucial to Ribble this year despite being two of the youngest on the team.

The East Lancashire side – who play in the North West Counties Premier, the top regional league – have had a tough start to the season, playing four of the top five teams from the 2018/19 season in their first four league games.

Although results haven’t gone their way – Ribble have lost all their games so far – performances from Haworth and Jorgenson haven’t gone unnoticed.

17-year-old Jorgenson suggested that playing for Thunder over the years has helped her in the physical games for Ribble in the open age league.

She said: “My fitness has definitely improved from last year and it’s made me stronger as a player which helps in the more physical games.”