Preston boxer Scott Fitzgerald confident of historic Deepdale bout

Scott Fitzgerald is unbeaten in 14 professional fights.

Preston-fighter Scott Fitzgerald has exclusively told UCLan Live he is confident a historic bout will be held at Deepdale.

It would be the first time a night of boxing has been held at Preston North End’s home since it was built in 1875.

Preston’s ‘Mad Man’ – a rising star of the boxing world – says he will be fighting Anthony Fowler, the man he beat in Liverpool last March.

Promoter Eddie Hearn is believed to be at Deepdale today to discuss the prospect of a bout being staged at the venue with North End officials. It is understood the fight is likely to take place in May next year.

Fitzgerald, 27, said: “It will be amazing won’t it? I thought it might happen in a few years but it might be coming round sooner than we think.

“I’m about to go and meet Eddie Hearn at Deepdale. We’re meeting there now.

“I think it’s going to happen – next year I’m going to have [Anthony] Fowler there I think.”

Fitzgerald won the British super-welterweight crown against Ted Cheeseman in Newcastle on 19 October.

Matchroom’s main man, Hearn, teased Preston fight fans with a tweet this morning.

Hearn, 40, said he was taking a pit-stop in Preston before heading to Manchester for the press conference of Anthony Crolla’s final swansong against Frank Urquiaga on Saturday night.

This has increased speculation that Deepdale will be the venue for Fitzgerald’s next fight – speculation the fighter himself seems to have since confirmed.