Fleetwood Town boss Joey Barton relishes FA Cup opportunity against Barnet

Fleetwood manager Joey Barton previewing their clash with Shrewsbury Town. (Credit- Sean Perman)

Fleetwood Town manager Joey Barton believes a good cup run can bring inspiration to the people of the Fylde coast.

His side will travel to The Hive Stadium on Sunday when they come up against Barnet in the first round of the FA Cup.

And Barton believes that because of “the way the world is,” the football club has a responsibility to provide a boost for the town.

Barton believes his side are able to provide inspiration for the people of Fleetwood.

However, the Fleetwood boss will be hoping for more success as a manager compared to his playing days.

During the former Manchester City and Burnley player’s 15 year career, he only managed to reach the quarter final of the cup.

And the Cod Army boss recalled his best memory of the cup was as a young Everton fan.

He said: “I’ve had some fantastic ties. I’ve never got beyond the quarter finals so for me it’s not a competition I look back favourably upon.

“Although it was a great competition as a kid, my first visit to Wembley was to watch Everton in the cup in ’95 which was about as good as it got for me as an Evertonian.”

The Town boss relishes the idea of playing a top team in the cup, and believes that his side has what it takes to beat anyone at Highbury Stadium.

He said: “A good run would bring an excitement factor to the Fylde coast.

“You manage to get to the third round, and get a big boy coming to our stadium and I’ve good as we’ve been there we wouldn’t fear anyone.

“To play an Arsenal, a Manchester United, a Liverpool, a Manchester City at Highbury would be an enormous boost at a very good time for the Fylde coast and certainly for the Fleetwood faithful.”