Jeffers expects to be “English Champion in at least six months time”

Mark Jeffers with his belt
Mark Jeffers with his belt after the win

Chorley boxer Mark Jeffers is “buzzing” after claiming his first title.

Winning the title via a fourth round technical knockout win against Bolton prospect Ben Thomas to win his first championship as he looks to add more belts in 2020.

After an early onslaught where Jeffers was cut around the eye he dominated the rest of the fight and got the finish mid-way through the fourth round with a body shot which his opponent couldn’t recover from.

After the fight Jeffers is wanting to move on quickly from the Central Area Championship to the all-important English titles.

He said: “If it was up to me I’d move quickly onto the English titles but I think we might be defending this title.

Despite a largely inactive 2019 as a result of suffering multiple injuries Jeffers remained focused in the build up to the fight and expects to fight another four or five times before the end of the year.

He said: “To get the first one is a bit of a dream come true really, it’s just going to push me on for bigger and better titles.”

The undefeated boxer fighting out of Jennings Gym, where English super middleweight champion Scott Fitzgerald also trains says how “invaluable” sparring experience with the likes of Scott and Billy Joe Saunders has been to his progression.

Also sending a big thank you to Irish Boxer Spike O’Sullivan who he had sparred with in preparation for his championship fight and for his message after the fight congratulating him and offering advice.

The 21- year old remains adamant that the step up in competition does not faze him as he is still growing himself;

“In the Gym my powers improving all the time so I’m getting bigger and stronger.”

Jeffers is currently 11 fights unbeaten in his professional boxing career and is hopeful of maintaining his unbeaten record going into the rest of the year.

“It’s nice to stay undefeated, I’m going to try and keep it going as long as I can obviously.

He also added: “With great champions they’ve been beaten like Mike Tyson and Muhammad Ali so you have to come back from that.”

Mark Jeffers believes that he has everything he needs to dominate this year and leave with a perfect record against even better fighters than what he has already fought.

A combination of having experienced trainers, Decorated sparring partners and natural talent, the Chorley boxer is confident of winning an English championship this year.