Moorcroft has ‘all to gain, nothing to lose’ in clash with Harkin

James Moorcroft in action in a previous bout. PIC: Karen Priestley

Unbeaten Wigan boxer James Moorcroft feels no pressure as he heads into his British title eliminator clash against fellow unbeaten fighter, Martin Harkin.

Super welterweight Moorcroft, 26, will enter enemy territory for the contest as he travels up to Glasgow to take on his Scottish counterpart on Thursday.

However, Moorcroft says he is relaxed despite taking on Harkin in his own backyard.

He said: “I feel as if the pressure is off for me, he has more to show and put on a show for his home crowd.

“He fought amateur at a high level, whereas I didn’t do amateur so I’m going in there as a slight underdog, but I have all to gain and nothing to lose.”

However Moorcroft, who has 13-0 professional record, does admit that this will be the biggest test of his young career – but feels sparring has got him well prepared.

“I know the fight’s going to be the biggest test of my life and I know it’s going to be a tough fight,” said Moorcroft.

“I’ve been sparring high level fighters like former world champion Liam Smith and other great lads so I’m ready for anything.”

James does feel like he has trained well for the fight and understands his strengths.

He added: “I’ve been working hard, I’m big for welterweight and rehydrate well, I’m looking to take it too him, I think my size will play a big factor and I think my fitness and forward way of fighting will send him on the back foot and the pressure may get to him.”

With Harkin being the home fighter it comes down to him to sell tickets in order to make his purse for the contest – whereas Moorcroft hasn’t had to do that, and he feels this is an advantage.

He explained: “As the home fighter he has to sell tickets around his hometown in order to make money, I don’t have to do that, I can just head up there feeling fresh and ready.”

Despite a potential British title shot being dangled in front of the winner, Moorcroft refuses to think too far ahead.

“I will never look further than a fight in front of me, the British title makes me very excited but I’m a mile away from that yet,” he added.

“Harkin is a great boxer who is ranked higher than me so he is my world title fight, but I train as if every fight is my world title fight.” Moorcroft added.

The fans who pile into the St Andrews Sporting Club in Glasgow should be in for a war between two up and coming boxers, both unbeaten and both primed for big things in the sport.