Billy Kee hailed a ‘legend’ by Accrington Stanley teammate

Accrington Stanley's home, the Wham Stadium.

Accrington Stanley winger Jordan Clark hailed Billy Kee a ‘legend’ following his retirement from football.

Kee confirmed in September 2019 that he was receiving treatment for depression, anxiety and bulimia and would in the meantime be taking a break from football.

The 29-year-old, who hasn’t played since April last year, announced his retirement on Wednesday morning.

Embed from Getty Images

Former teammate Clark said: “He’s a legend – that’s the best way you can describe Billy.

“He was the first person I spoke to when I first came here.

“I remember him taking me down to the training ground in his car and he looked after me really well.

“On the pitch he’s been unbelievable. You can see at times this season where you just think ‘we could have done with him today’.”

During his time at the Wham Stadium, Kee found the back of the net 83 times and played an instrumental part in Stanley’s promotion to League One.

Kee was celebrated by the Accrington crowd on Saturday afternoon before their 2-1 victory over AFC Wimbledon.

The forward received an emotional tribute from the fans and manager John Coleman confirmed after the game that the club will be retiring the no.29 shirt.

Coleman said: “He’s been a cracking servant for Accrington.

“I think it’s fitting that we’re retiring his shirt. You couldn’t imagine anybody else playing for Accrington with 29 on his back.

“I had a tear in my eye watching a montage of his goals the other day and I cannot praise him enough for what he’s done for this club to elevate us to where we are.”