Bamber Bridge boss Jamie Milligan: Coronavirus a ‘nightmare’

Bamber Bridge manager Jamie Milligan

Bamber Bridge manager Jamie Milligan said he hopes the non-league football season will finish amid the Covid-19 pandemic.

Milligan, who has been in charge at the Sir Tom Finney Stadium since mid-December, was speaking earlier today following Brig’s postponement against Gainsborough Trinity on Saturday.

The 40-year-old former Everton, Blackpool and Fleetwood Town player said he had experienced ‘nothing’ like it in his playing days.

He went on to say: “I think it’s new to everyone. I don’t think anyone really knows what’s going to happen.

“Going away from our league, you don’t know who’s going to win the Premier League, who’s going to do down, who’s going to come up – and there’s like a knock-on effect.

“I think they’ve got to finish the season. If they need to cancel to the EUROs, then I think that might be the way forward.

“At the minute, we don’t know what’s happening. We don’t even know if we’re training tomorrow night.

“So we’re a bit up in the air, we don’t know what’s happening.”

Milligan’s squad have staved off a relegation scrap in recent weeks, having beaten FC United of Manchester 3-0 last month, before a good string of results was put to an end by table-toppers South Shields last weekend.

However, the task now is to keep on the ball fitness-wise but boss Milligan is confident in his first-team’s discipline in a ‘nightmare’ situation.

“They’ve all downloaded an app where I can see exactly what they’re doing like on Saturday when we had no game,” he explained.

“They’re a great set of lads anyway and I know they’ll look after themselves when they’re not training.

“At this time of the season, there’s a lot to play for so it’s just a nightmare really, I don’t know what’s going to happen now.”

We’ll have a piece of Milligan’s move from player to manager coming up this week, so keep your eyes peeled.