Life in lockdown with the Logans – Gabby and Kenny

Gabby and Kenny Logan during a Q&A with UCLan students

Popular TV presenter Gabby Logan was the latest industry figure to take part in an online Q&A session with journalism students from UCLan, alongside her husband and former professional Rugby Union star Kenny Logan.

Due to the Coronavirus pandemic lockdown, the couple are experiencing time away from the cameras in their family home alongside their twins – Reuben and Lois, aged 14.

Having both had careers in the sporting world, Gabby and Kenny spoke proudly of watching the twins follow in their footsteps and of how they miss this at the moment.

“The kids are both really active in sport and we get so much joy out of using our days off to watch them play. On Saturday morning, it was one of those days where we just wanted to go out and watch the kids do sport.

Gabby Logan on her career

“We really miss sport from a leisure point of view and a professional point of view, we’ve been painting windows but it’s just one of those jobs you don’t want to do!”

Gabby, 47, has worked for the BBC as a presenter since 2007, covering a wide range of sports including football, rugby union and athletics having competed in the 1990 Commonwealth games for Wales as a rhythmic gymnast.

Meanwhile, husband Kenny was a well-known Rugby Union player featuring for London Wasps and the Scotland national team.

However, Gabby revealed to students that a newfound sporting interest had been found in the Logan household during the lockdown with the help of a Netflix documentary.

Gabby and Kenny with their children Reuben and Lois: Pic: Gabby Logan via Twitter

“As a family, we watchedThe Last Dance’ documentary based around Michael Jordan and the Chicago Bulls. Since then, Kenny and Reuben have been playing basketball every day, it usually results in Kenny screaming when 6ft 5ins Reuben lands on top of him!”

The UCLan journalism students also utilised the Q&A to glean valuable information on the professional world from the pair.

Kenny now runs a sports marketing agency, helping sponsors within the world of sports but has also worked as a pundit for both Sky and the BBC.

The 48-year-old stressed the importance of learning from mistakes to the students, saying: “I like to get negative feedback because that’s how I learn and get better, when I played and now off-the-field.

“You’re never too old for critique. The producers of a show are there to help you.

Gabby Logan . Pic: Flickr, via Wikimedia

“When I first did punditry, Gabby was a very good mentor, I accepted her critiques and used them to improve.”

Now an established figure in the industry, Gabby has worked for the BBC since 2007 and has presented numerous game shows as well as her sporting work.

However, it has not always been easy for her and there have been many challenges that she has had to overcome throughout her career, none more so than the widely discussed gender inequality in sport.

She said: “At the start of my career, I overcompensated my knowledge because I thought I had to know more than my male colleagues. I didn’t want to be thought of as being no good in my job purely because I was a woman.”