Chancellor announces new Job Support Scheme supporting furloughed workers

(Photo by Pippa Fowles)

Chancellor Rishi Sunak has announced a new Job Support Scheme stating that the government will provide “direct support” to viable jobs by paying two-thirds of workers’ wages, providing they work at least one-third of their normal hours.  

This new scheme will begin on 1 November and run for six months, being the end of the current furlough scheme.   

The Chancellor stated he has given businesses: “The option of keeping employees in a job on shorter hours rather than making them redundant.”  

All small and medium-sized businesses are eligible for this scheme, with larger businesses having to provide evidence of a fall in their turnover during this period.   

Rishi Sunak wanted to: “Strike a finely judged balance between managing the virus and protecting the jobs and livelihoods of millions.” 

With the end of the furlough coming to a head at the end of October, some would have preferred an extension to the furlough scheme, but others welcome the changes with open arms. 

Jake Holden, 23, believes in the second statement, saying the changes will: “Get people more comfortable going back to work.”  

The mechanical engineering student from Cumbria worked in the hospitality sector before being furloughed when the scheme began. 

Jake was a supporter of the furlough scheme, saying it made: “The best out of a bad situation. It could have been improved for zero hour contracts, however I still felt supported by the scheme.” 

Since then, Jake has been doing his part during this pandemic, taking on a part-time job in the NHS as a cleaner. 

Jake said: “I felt that as a young, fit adult I would be able to help in some way through this pandemic and supply some sort of service to the community. 

“I struggle when I have no option of getting out the house and having little freedom, so this was a good opportunity for me to be able to help the community and help myself.”