Darts ace Stephen Bunting tests positive for COVID-19

Stephen Bunting is ranked 20th in the world. Credit: pixabay

Stephen Bunting has withdrawn from the 2020 World Grand Prix after a positive COVID-19 test.

The St Helens man was tested on arrival at the Ricoh Arena in Coventry, despite following protocol. Due to the positive result, he was advised by the UK government to quarantine at home.

Bunting, known as “The Bullet” was due to face fellow Englishman Jamie Hughes in the first round yesterday, but has now been replaced by Jeffrey De Zwaan. Bunting qualified as one of the top 16 non-qualified players from the ProTour Order of Merit.

Bunting, who won the 2014 BDO World Championship, posted a video on his twitter account. He informed his followers that he currently has no symptoms and is quarantining in his sons’ room watching the darts.

Bunting said: “Hi guys, just a quick update. I’ve still got no symptoms for COVID-19 although I tested positive the other day.

“Jamie Hughes is on in a minute, me old mate, I was looking forward to battling him tonight. Unfortunately I can’t be there but I wish you all the best mate.”

Another Englishman, Adrian Lewis also tested positive upon arrival and has been replaced by Simon Whitlock. Both replacements, De Zwaan and Whitlock won their opening games, De Zwaan beating Hughes 2-1 and Whitlock defeating Chris Dobey 2-0.

De Zwaan will face Mervyn King tonight while Whitlock plays Gabriel Clemens tomorrow tonight.