Barry Douglas makes the switch back to the Championship joining Blackburn on loan

By: Harry Holt

Two-time Championship title winning defender Barry Douglas has left Premier League side Leeds United on loan in order to join promotion hopefuls Blackburn Rovers. 

The Scottish left back never really nailed down the position whilst at Leeds, injury problems were a massive issue during his time at Elland road. 

Over his two-year stint in Yorkshire, Douglas made 42 first team appearance and it could arguably be said that his best game was against Tony Mowbray’s side last season in that 3-1 away win. 

After signing, Douglas has said: “I want to come and help the club achieve success. 

“At this stage of my career it’s about playing week-in week-out and hopefully help the team by playing my part. 

Douglas is yet to make an appearance this season so he might not be up to match fitness, but when at his best he can be one of the most productive left sided defenders in the League. 

Whilst at Wolves the Scot contributed to 19 goals during their league winning season, scoring five and assisting 14. 

Douglas has now been promoted from the second tier twice now and will be aiming to do it a third time this year and is very ambitious coming into the side. 

He said: “It’s a good group of players here, a good squad that have started well at a club that’s very ambitious. 

“I wouldn’t call myself a specialist, but I’ve got two promotions from this division. I think the ambition for everyone in the Championship has to be to get up to the Premier League. 

Whilst Douglas has proven himself on the attacking front there has been some weaknesses in his defensive game, which is due to his forward-thinking mentality. 

His lack of speed can be an issue when matched up against a pacey winger especially when he is so far up pitch, but this can largely be outweighed by his excellent dead ball ability and crosses from the wide position.