Wrestling: Callum Corrie ready for comeback match

By: Dan Barnes

Manchester’s Callum Corrie is excited to get back in the ring when FutureShock Wrestling heads to Stockport on Saturday.

The 22-year-old hasn’t wrestled since the national lockdown in March and is looking forward to performing in front of a crowd again.

“I’m really excited for Saturday,” said Corrie.

“I’ve been back to training but I haven’t actually done a show yet. I missed the last one because I actually had coronavirus myself.

“I had a temperature for two nights and had a bit of a cough, but apart from that I wasn’t too bad.

“(Lockdown) was a bit of a nightmare really. You work hard to get where you are and then you feel like it’s slipping away.

“But you just have to remember everyone is in the same boat.”

The current government restrictions mean training has changed massively for wrestlers around the country.

And Corrie admits getting used to the ‘new normal’ has been challenging.

“It’s really weird,” he said.

“It’s easy to forget about the new rules when you’re excited to train.

“You have to have a certain partner, so you can only wrestle with them. But we used to wrestle with as many people as possible to get experience.

“If you forget to find a partner you have to sit the session out.”

Saturday’s show will take place at Stockport Guildhall, with the first match starting at 2pm.

Corrie will be in action against TJ Webb, while Chris Ridgeway and Lana Austin have also been confirmed for the event.

Several safety measures will be in place, including socially distanced seating and hand sanitiser stations.