Scarborough Athletic’s Will Thornton believes null and void season will damage his career

The Northern Premier League season has been curtailed due to the Covid 19 outbreak

Scarborough Athletic’s Will Thornton says The Seadogs’ season being declared null and void for a second time will be damaging to his career prospects.

This comes after the Pitching In Northern Premier League season was curtailed on February 24 alongside other leagues between Steps 3 and 6 of the non-league pyramid.

Thornton believes football coming to a standstill once again will ultimately do more harm than good to his career.

He said: “It’s frustrating cause it feels like it’s two years out of my career now where there’s nothing really to show for it.

“Everyone at our level is in the same situation so no one’s really got an advantage, but it’s two years where I could have got a move and could have done well.

“I’ll be 24 in August, so I’ve gone from feeling like I’m still young to getting ready for my mid-20s.

“It’s a short career and you’ve not got that long, so that’s the most frustrating aspect of it.”

The defender stressed his disappointment also exists in the form of a potentially exciting season being brought to an end after just eight games.

Darren Kelly’s side found themselves 11th in the league table, four points away from a place in the play-offs.

Manager Darren Kelly speaking in October

Thornton has been left wondering what could have been.

“We’d put together a good squad and had a decent start,” he said.

“We had a lot of away games and a couple of home games and we felt like we could have really done something, so for them to null and void it feels like two seasons wasted.”

Without any football, many players have been left with more free time than they know what to do with.

For Will Thornton and his teammates at Scarborough, however, they’ve been using the time to work on their fitness.

Speaking about what’s been keeping him busy, the former Guiseley and Gainsborough player said: “I’ve been doing a lot of road running and I’ve set up my own gym at home with weights and exercise bikes so I’ve been keeping fit.

“Me and Nathan Cartman have been doing a lot of running at the minute and have been doing some stupid distances.

“It’s just keeping us busy more than anything cause other than that there’s not an awful lot for us to do.”