Home-schooling during lockdown has had a negative impact on some parents across Great Britain

Homeschooling written in chalk on a chalk board
Chalkboard with homeschooling written across. Credit to Pixabay (free image)

As part of the government’s roadmap out of lockdown, plans were announced that children will be returning to school on March 8.

For some parents, schools re-opening can’t come soon enough.

Recent data found by the Office for National Statistics reveals that 60% of parents who had been home-schooling their children between January 13 and February 7 said that COVID-19 had a negative impact on their well-being.

Lauren McGuinness, 32, is currently home-schooling her three boys at the same time as working from home.

Due to the pandemic, her daily life had to completely change when schools were closed, and she believes that home-schooling during the pandemic has impacted her well-being.

Lauren McGuinness with her three sons.
Lauren McGuinness, 32, with her three sons. Photo credit to: Lauren McGuinness

Lauren said: “Trying to get them all to do the work is really stressful because we’re at home, they’re distracted and they’re not concentrating. So, it is stressful trying to get them on task and doing what they’re supposed to be doing. 

“My partner works nights, so he is asleep during the day, meaning I’m always trying to keep them quiet. I feel like I’m always on edge at the minute.”

Lauren said she believes she is stressed because she doesn’t know if she’s doing enough to educate her children at home.

She said: “I think I’m mainly stressed because I’m wondering if I’m doing enough, like are we doing enough home learning and exercise. 

“That’s where the stress is really, me wondering if I’m doing enough for my kids.”

However, not all parents believe their well-being has been impacted.

Rachel Drewin, a parent of one from Stockport, said her mental health hasn’t been impacted by home-schooling during the lockdown.

She said: “I personally haven’t been affected negatively. I feel like the pandemic has actually had a positive impact on my mental health because we have been doing more and we have been spending a lot more time together.”

Although the pandemic hasn’t impacted her, she understands why other parents are feeling stressed and anxious.

Rachel said: “I do understand why it would have a negative impact on other parents because I don’t work so I have all the time in the world.

“But, obviously for other parents it is harder because they work, and they have to figure out childcare. So, I totally get why some parents well-being has been impacted.”

Even though Lauren feels like home-schooling during the pandemic has affected her well-being, she still appreciates the unique time that she has been able to spend with her children.

She said: “It is quite sad they will be going back to school soon because it has been nice having that time that I wouldn’t normally get with them because they are at school most of their day and basically most of their life.”

Source: Opinions and Lifestyle Survey (COVID-19 module), Great Britain, January 13 to February 7, 2021

The data found by the Office for National Statistics shows that parents, who have at least one dependent child aged 5 to 18 years living in the household, say their well-being has been affected due to the Corona Virus pandemic. 

60% of those parents who have been home-schooling their children in lockdown state that their well-being has been affected whether that be from loneliness, anxiety or stress.

Parents also said they have a lack of freedom and independence and their work is being affected due to home-schooling during the Corona Virus pandemic.

However, these statistics could again change when children go back to school on March 8 as part of the Prime Minister’s roadmap out of lockdown.